Indigenous Health Conference. November 20-21, 2014
November 20-21, 2014
Venue: Toronto ON
Organizer: University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine, Continuing Professional Development
Indigenous Health Conference l November 20-21, 2014
The inaugural Indigenous Health Conference is an interdisciplinary meeting with the aim of discussing health disparities & burden of disease among Indigenous peoples in Canada. Start a dialogue about potential solutions toward health equity and increase cultural competency among health care providers. The conference will also feature a job fair that would provide opportunities for working with Indigenous communities in Canada.
- Women’s Health (including Reproductive and Violence)
- Children’s Health
- Mental Health (including Substance Abuse)
- Infectious Disease
- Chronic Disease
- Determinants of Health (Housing, Poverty, etc.)
- Environmental Health
- Health Care Systems
- Cultural Competency and Safety
- Traditional Ways and Self-Determination
- Indigenous Research and Population Health Data
- Abstract Submissions Close: Monday, June 23, 2014 at 11:59PM
For more information, please visit the course website
- Discuss health disparities & burden of disease among Indigenous peoples in Canada, highlighting certain conditions with a high burden of disease.
- Start a dialogue about potential long term solutions towards health equity.
- Challenge stereotypes and misperceptions about Indigenous peoples in Canada.
- Discuss cultural competencies and safety in working with First Nations, Inuit and Métis populations.
- Job Fair to facilitate matching healthcare providers with working opportunities
with Indigenous populations.
Any interested party is welcome. The focus will interdisciplinary healthcare providers and may include:
- nurse practitioners
- allied health providers
- community health workers
- social workers
- public health specialists and policy makers
INDIGENOUS HEALTH CONFERENCE NOVEMBER 20-21, 2014