First report from the Council of the Federation Working Group on Health Care Innovation
The Council of the Federation Working Group on Health Care Innovation released their first report, “From Innovation to Action.” The working group was co-chaired by The Honourable Robert Ghiz, Premier for Prince Edward Island Premier, and The Honourable Brad Wall, Premier of Saskatchewan. The group is composed of all provincial and territorial health ministers and was established in January of 2012.
The report focused on practical innovations that each province and territory can use to enhance patient care and improve value for taxpayers. The recommendations contained in the report will be implemented by the provinces and territories, as they deem appropriate to their health care system. They include:
- promoting the adoption of clinical practice guidelines for treating heart disease and diabetes;
- pursuing a number of team-based models to increase access to primary care, rural emergency services, and homecare for Canadians;
- sharing information on health human resources management and supply;
- improving communication about health human resources labour markets; and
- having the Working Group monitor the progress made on the initiatives contained in this first report.
To read the report, go to www.councilofthefederation.ca.