The Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA), Ontario, recently welcomed the opportunity to provide feedback on the Government of Canada’s online consultation for the legislative review of the Cannabis Act.
CMHA branches across the province offer comprehensive substance use and harm reduction-related supports, including services such as Rapid Access to Addictions Medicine clinics and youth addictions counselling.
The submission focused on the key goal of minimizing harms related to cannabis use and reducing inequities, and made recommendations to:
- Protect the safety measures in the Cannabis Act
- Limit marketing and promotion of cannabis
- Maintain plain packaging for cannabis products
- Minimize harms by limiting retail density
- Invest in research, public education and addiction treatment
- Reduce inequities in the legal cannabis industry
Read CMHA Ontario’s full submission here.