CMHA Ontario is participating in the first annual Operational Stress Injury (OSI) Conference in Toronto on October 23rd, 2017 along with the following partners:
- Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police
- Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs
- Ontario Association of Paramedic Chiefs
- Ontario Provincial Police
- Ontario’s Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management
This event is being held to bring together first responders from across the province and discuss the prevalence of operational stress injuries in this line of work. First responders are more likely than the general population to encounter highly stressful situations, which can lead to the development of an OSI. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is one type of OSI that can develop after someone experiences or is exposed to a particularly stressful or traumatic event.
In creating an open dialogue and support for first responders, treatment can be sought as early as possible and related suicides can be prevented.
Registration is now open. Register online.